Saturday, March 17, 2012

I Found a Penny in the Parking Lot

Today I got a wild hair and did a bunch of little projects around the house. I guess it started last night when I pulled out the basket where I "file" most of my papers (bills, receipts, etc.). I hate filing, so this basket method works fine for me.

Here's how it works:  When I get a bill or a piece of a paper I have to keep, after I take care of it (pay the bill, read the paper, whatever), I stick it in the basket. Then every once in a while, I pull out the basket (it sits under my printer table) and make piles on the floor of all of the papers. Then I pull out my little filing box and file the stuff in the correct folder. I always have leftover piles too, stuff to shred, stuff to read, plenty to just recycle. I hadn't done anything with the papers since last October! I knew the basket was getting full!

So, then today, after I washed the dishes, I took the drip pans off the stove and stuck them in plastic bags with some ammonia. If you leave them overnight, you can supposedly rinse away the gunk the next morning. We'll see. It can't make them any worse! Then I changed the furnace/AC filter. Then I shredded the papers from my filing spree last night. I usually weed out old bills that I don't need to keep, etc., when I file and I had quite a pile to shred.
 
After I took the bag out to the recycling dumpster, I walked around the parking lot. It's really cool and breezy here this evening. Perfect weather! And I spotted a penny in the parking lot!

So, are you a better filer than me? You can't be much worse. I probably should file my stuff more often but I always know where it is.

This Found Money FACTS:
Denomination:  1 penny
Year:  2002
U.S. Mint:  D
Condition:   Tarnished, dinged up but not bad
Total found money to date for 2012:  $2.17

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of a nerd about the paperwork/mail. As soon as I walk in the door, I open it and dispose or shred what I have to and file the rest. Can't help myself. Our house is so small that stacks of papers really stand out.
    Good thing you did your shredding when you did. After all, if you hadn't shredded at that moment, perhaps that penny would have already been claimed by a nerdy person like myself who shreds all the time and makes lots of trips to the trash. :) ha (By the way, I'm going to try again to subscribe to your posts.) Here goes...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Pam! I am horrible about it. Right now, since that job is done, I'm working on delaying preparing my taxes. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year, 2024 and So Long, 2023

Well, here we are. The end of another year. I think this will be the end of my found money blog. I think it's run its course, but I'...