Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1963 was a very good year!

I am loving this cool weather this week. Already this year here in Phoenix, we've had some 100+ days. Ugh. This week the high will only hit 90. Yay! So, yesterday and today I got out and rode my bike. Yesterday even though I rode to Michael's and Trader Joe's nothing. Today I rode around quite awhile just to feel the breeze in my face then I stopped at Big Lots! for some essentials (read:  TP). On the way home from there, I turned into a condo complex that I'd never checked out before. I rode all the way to the back and what did I find? Yes! This penny!

I was thrilled! It doesn't take much, really, to thrill me. It's the hunt, for sure, that I love. So, I took a quick picture since I had my camera slung on my wrist, picked up the penny and put it in my pocket, and rode home. It wasn't till I reached in and pulled it out at home that I saw that it is from 1963. That's almost as old as me! (It's old.) It looks a little different than newer pennies to me; the ridge around the edge just looks higher. It's probably not.

But for fun, I thought I'd look up the value of this "ancient" coin. Here's what I learned:

  • Lincoln pennies made before 1982 contain 95% copper.
  • Lincoln pennies made after 1982 are 97.5% zinc with a thin coating of copper.
  • My 1963-D penny is worth, you guessed it, 1 cent. But I did find a source that says if I had a roll of these pennies, I could get $7.99 (well, that's what they're selling them for).
Do you have any valuable coins?

This Found Money FACTS:
Denomination:  1 penny
Year:  1963
U.S. Mint:  D
Condition:  seasoned
How much found money to date:  $.97 in 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year, 2024 and So Long, 2023

Well, here we are. The end of another year. I think this will be the end of my found money blog. I think it's run its course, but I'...