My Found Money Jar

My Found Money Jar
New BIGGER Jar!

Digital Bank Counter

Tired of counting your piles of money? Let this digital bank do it for you!

It only looks like a shredder. It's not!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1963 was a very good year!

I am loving this cool weather this week. Already this year here in Phoenix, we've had some 100+ days. Ugh. This week the high will only hit 90. Yay! So, yesterday and today I got out and rode my bike. Yesterday even though I rode to Michael's and Trader Joe's nothing. Today I rode around quite awhile just to feel the breeze in my face then I stopped at Big Lots! for some essentials (read:  TP). On the way home from there, I turned into a condo complex that I'd never checked out before. I rode all the way to the back and what did I find? Yes! This penny!

I was thrilled! It doesn't take much, really, to thrill me. It's the hunt, for sure, that I love. So, I took a quick picture since I had my camera slung on my wrist, picked up the penny and put it in my pocket, and rode home. It wasn't till I reached in and pulled it out at home that I saw that it is from 1963. That's almost as old as me! (It's old.) It looks a little different than newer pennies to me; the ridge around the edge just looks higher. It's probably not.

But for fun, I thought I'd look up the value of this "ancient" coin. Here's what I learned:

  • Lincoln pennies made before 1982 contain 95% copper.
  • Lincoln pennies made after 1982 are 97.5% zinc with a thin coating of copper.
  • My 1963-D penny is worth, you guessed it, 1 cent. But I did find a source that says if I had a roll of these pennies, I could get $7.99 (well, that's what they're selling them for).
Do you have any valuable coins?

This Found Money FACTS:
Denomination:  1 penny
Year:  1963
U.S. Mint:  D
Condition:  seasoned
How much found money to date:  $.97 in 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails